Heat pumps are essential comfort systems in many homes, given their energy efficiency and ability to provide both heating and cooling. However, some factors can cause its life span to degrade faster than usual. As a top-quality heating and air conditioning company, Amber Air Conditioning Inc. will share the factors that affect a heat pump’s life span and give you some tips on extending it.
The Average Lifespan of a Heat Pump
On average, a well-maintained heat pump can last between 10 and 20 years, but this will still depend on several factors, such as the equipment model, installation quality, maintenance schedule and usage.
Factors Affecting a Heat Pump’s Life Expectancy
Here are several factors that may affect the lifespan of a heat pump:
- Quality of the System. Higher-quality pumps will generally outlast lower-quality options. In this context, quality includes factors like the build and manufacturing quality, and the specification and engineering of the equipment.
- Installation. The installation process’s quality can significantly impact a heat pump’s longevity. Poor installation can lead to operational issues, thus negatively impacting the unit’s life span.
- Maintenance. Regular, professional maintenance is done to ensure a longer lifespan for your heat pump. This includes filter changes, cleaning, inspections and tune-ups.
- Usage. How often and for how long the pump is used can also affect its life expectancy. Constant use puts more stress on the system, potentially shortening its lifespan.
Tips to Extend Your Heat Pump’s Life
Here are some care and maintenance tips that can prolong the lifespan of your heat pump from Amber Air Conditioning:
- Keep the System Well-Maintained. Ensure that your heat pump receives an annual tune-up from a professional technician. Regular maintenance helps identify problems early and keeps the system running efficiently.
- Clean Filters. Cleaning or changing your heat pump’s filters regularly can significantly improve its performance and longevity.
- Install a Programmable Thermostat. This regulates the use of your heat pump efficiently, thus reducing wear and tear.
- Protect Your Outdoor Unit. Protecting your outdoor unit from the elements is imperative. Make sure there are no nearby obstructions that may prevent the flow of air through the outdoor unit.
- Clear Away Debris. Keep the areas around the indoor and outdoor units clean and free of dust and debris. Regular cleaning can prevent clogs and keep your system running efficiently.
Let Us Help Extend Your Heat Pump’s Service Life
Turn to Amber Air Conditioning Inc. for top-notch heating and cooling services. With us, you can rest assured your heat pump operates efficiently and lasts longer. Count on us for all your HVAC needs, from servicing Carrier air conditioner units to providing indoor air quality solutions. Call (951) 674-6974 or fill out our contact form. We serve homeowners in Temecula, CA, and the surrounding communities.